November 15 will see the premiere of Wayne McGregor’s ballet “Symbiont(s)” in Estonia. Originally created for The Royal Ballet in 2000, “Symbiont(s)” is a hybrid work of stylistic extremes. Centered around a series of enigmatic …
According to the decision of the Board of the Estonian National Opera, the employment contract with Aivar Mäe, the General Manager of the theatre, will be renewed for the next five-year term of office, which …
November will see on the stage of the Estonian National Opera two internationally known Estonian soloists – bass Ain Anger and tenor Mati Turi. Both singers participate in “Tannhäuser” on 14 and 16 November, Ain …
The Xth awarding ceremony of the international prize for the development and strengthening of humanitarian links between the countries of the Baltic region “Baltic Star” will take place on 11 October in the Hermitage Theatre. …
Opera House 100
The Jugend-classicistic theatre building designed by Finnish architects Armas Lindgren and Wivi Lönn was the largest building in the early 20th century Tallinn. One side of the two-wing building was intended for a theatre and the other for a concert hall. This is so also today. Between the magnificent flanks was a lower part which housed a restaurant (the White Hall) and a cloistered inner court which gave colour to the building. The theatre and concert building was inaugurated on 24 August 1913. Sculptor August Weizenberg donated to the new theatre two of his most stunning marble sculptures, “Koit” (Dawn) and “Hämarik” (Dusk) which decorated the Red Hall of the theatre.
Just a year later, after the outbreak of the World War I, the theatre building was housing a military hospital. The balcony side of the concert hall was used as an Orthodox church. As the theatre hall had not been taken over by the military, the actors continued to play at their own expense.
On 23 April 1919, the first Estonian Parliament – the Constituent Assembly of the Republic of Estonia – assembled in the concert hall of the “Estonia” theatre. A new era began in the history of the theatre and the whole country. The theatre building was reconstructed and in 1934, the balcony in the front of the White Hall was closed and the Green Hall was added to the building.